Sunday, May 6, 2012

Buying a Bible

Have any of you tried buying a Bible lately?

Let me just say that it's probably one of the most frustrating things that I've done for awhile....

I have a really nice study Bible that I enjoy the feel of, but I just don't like whipping it out at work when I'm on break or what-not since I feel like it's obviously a BIBLE...not that I'm against reading the Bible in public or anything...I just want to read in peace without people asking "Is that a Bible??" in a shocked tone. With my study Bible, it's pretty noticeable.....it's big, with gilt, and indent tabs separating the books of the Bible.

So, today, I decided to buy a small Bible that I can carry around in my purse, and kinda not have to treat it with kid gloves.

I went to Barnes and Nobles and they had nothing that looked appealing...Then I drove to the Christian bookstore we have here in town....and they had so many to choose from. The selection was almost ridiculous...a skateboarders Bible, Girls Bible, Appearance Bible, Boys Amour of God Bible, Comicbook Bible, Manga Bible, Princess Bible.....I promise, I'm not making these titles up!! And on top of all the different types of Bibles, you have to chose the Version Bible that you even want....and THAT was a pain...I would see a Bible that I thought looked and felt nice just to discover that it was the New America Language Bible, or some other version that when I read the verses I knew by heart, the verses didn't even sound close to the verses that I knew!

And let me just say this, Mr. Manufacturer-of-KJV-Bible's, that you really should come up with nicer Bibles than what you have already. Sure, the KJV's were nice Table Bibles....but Bibles with nice designs or colors other than Black or Brown were practically nonexistent!

I just felt the difference in KJV Bible versus the other versions of the Bible....and since I couldn't decide which I wanted, I got BOTH! One KJV, and one (discounted) ESV.....The ESV is the pink one and the KJV is the Green one....and let me just say, the green one is only the New Testament...would it have killed the manufacturers to have included the Old Testament with the Color cover??? I guess so....


Anyways, I can't wait to read and mark up my new Bibles....I haven't had a new Bible since 2001 so this is going to be fun!

1 comment:

  1. hahaha Only the New Testament you say? You forgot that it also comesz with PSALMS & PROVERBS!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete